Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Book Meme

TheGonzoGirl has set a cunning trap --- whoever reads her most recent entry gets tagged with a meme!

The meme is this --- grab whatever book is closest, open it to page 56, find the fifth sentence and post the next seven sentences (on that page? spilling onto the next page? I don't know) on your blog.

As luck would have it, the book nearest to my computer is a book of Shakespeare's sonnets, which makes the sentence-posting a bit problematic. At most, his sonnets might contain two or three sentences, and many of them are one big, long sentence. There's almost no chance of seven complete sentences all residing on the same page, since this edition puts one sonnet on each page.

So I will just post half (i.e., seven lines) of the sonnet on page 56.
...
Which though it alter not love's sole effect,
Yet doth it steal sweet hours from love's delight.
I may not evermore acknowledge thee,
Lest my bewailèd guilt should do thee shame;
Nor thou with public kindness honor me
Unless thou take that honor from thy name:

But do not so; I love thee in such sort
As, thou being mine, mine is thy good report.

Now, who among you is Shakespeare buff enough to identify that sonnet?

1 comment:

Gonzo said...

I'm completely innocent, as this cunning trap was set deep in the atheist bloggosphere! :P
The (half) sonnet is so beautiful, I've never read Shakespeare, because I always thought I won't be able to comprehend thee olde English.
Good to learn, it's not true.
:)